Tuesday, August 25, 2009

I need to mention that although my mother and I covered a lot of topics in our visit, we did not discuss my father's death. We talked about his life, his sense of humor and funny stories from my childhood but we did not talk about his death. We did not talk about her decisions that resulted in his death. Neither one of us even attempted to talk about it. I know what happened. I know the facts. I know the timeline and the series of events. I know she made many decisions that ultimately led her to prision. But this is important to mention because forgiveness has to be unconditional. God could not work through me in offering her forgiveness if I was expecting something in return. I could not approach my mother with questions about the past. I could not expect her to explain what happened. There is no explanation. There are no answers. I had to be able to look into the eyes of a woman who is suffering her consequences and tell her that in my heart, the past is no more. Through the unconditional love of my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, she is forgiven. He suffered the ultimate consequence so we can all be forgiven. I had to allow God's healing in my life and walk away from the past. I am certain it is physically impossible for me to forget what my mother has done. But in my heart I had to let it go. I had to reach out to God and hand over the anger, pain, resentment, and devastation left behind from my mother's decisions. God has erased it all. I am living proof.

Tags:

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your most compelling story with us. I have been so moved and inspired. I hope you will consider writing a book about your life experience. You are a gifted writer and have a very powerful message of hope and healing to share.

    Stay strong, Stephen. May our Lord continue to richly bless you and keep His hand upon you and your dear family.

    ReplyDelete